The Nova Scotia Crown Land Information Management Centre manages a series of Crown Land Grant maps. These historic maps help provide a cartographic representation of what Nova Scotia parcel fabric originally looked like when the land was first granted (mostly to Scottish and Irish immigrants). The crown commenced issuing grants in 1730, but the majority of them were issued at various times during 1750 and 1850
Crown Land Grant maps are a great asset in genealogy research and help provide a graphic representation of the layout of the original land grants.
The Nova Scotia Crown Land Grant map series contains 138 maps in all, (each one is 26″ x 36″) with 14 of them that contain some Pictou County geography. Each map contains basic information that defines coastlines, waterways, transportation, and off course property lines with the names of the people who occupied a particular land grant.
Many edits were made to the maps by government staff over the years, which can be apparent in the various scans of the original maps.
See information below on how to order copies of the Nova Scotia Crown Land Grant maps, how to download a digital copy, or browse a digital scan of the original right here on this page.
[source: Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources]
This historic grant map only contains communities in the Western areas of Pictou County around Dalhousie, Millsville, West Branch River John, Meadowville, Caribou Island, Durham, Lyons Brook, Granton, and the Town of Pictou.
If the region you are looking for is not on this map sheet, then try one of the other Crown Land Grant Maps that contain Pictou County geography.
How to Obtain Paper Copies
Paper copies of this map can be purchased at the Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources (see contact info below) located in Halifax.
1701 Hollis Street 3rd Floor, Founders’ Square
P.O. Box 698 Halifax
Nova Scotia B3J 2T9
902-424-8633 [email protected]